Who To Inform When Moving House

Home Who To Inform When Moving House
Sunny Avenue
Mortgages, Online Estate Agents Sunny Avenue
31 May 2024

Moving house can be a thrilling adventure, but it also comes with its own set of challenges.

One such task that often gets overlooked in the chaos of packing and organising is informing the right entities about your change of address.

This guide outlines who to inform when moving house in the UK to ensure a smooth transition.

Key Takeaways

  • Moving house requires informing: personal contacts, employer, government agencies, local services, educational institutions, healthcare providers, insurance, utilities, and setting up mail redirect.
  • Notify government agencies like HMRC, National Insurance, Council Tax, Electoral Roll, and Department of Work and Pensions.
  • Update essential utilities: electricity, gas, water, cable/satellite TV, phone, broadband, TV license.
  • Ensure continuity by informing schools, universities, healthcare providers, and insurance companies about the move.

Who to Inform When Moving House

When moving house, inform personal contacts, employer, government agencies (HMRC, National Insurance, Council Tax, Electoral Roll, and Department of Work and Pensions), local services, educational institutions, healthcare providers, insurance companies, maintenance services, financial institutions, utilities, and set up a Royal Mail Post Redirect for a smooth transition:

Personal Contacts

Friends and Family

Begin with your immediate circle. Your friends and family should be the first to know about your move so they can update their address books and plan visits accordingly.


Your employer should also be promptly informed of your new address for payroll and contact details updates.

Government Agencies


Notifying HMRC is essential to ensure your tax records are up-to-date. This can be done on the gov.uk website.

National Insurance

Your National Insurance information needs updating too. This is crucial as your NI number is used by various government bodies to identify you.

Council Tax

You'll need to update your council tax address on the relevant gov.uk site for your new location.

Electoral Roll

Re-register on the Electoral Roll for your new area with your updated details. Visit gov.uk/register-to-vote to do this.

Department of Work and Pensions

Those receiving government funds must inform the Department of Work and Pensions about their new address. This can be done by phone.

Local Services and Subscriptions

When moving house, don't forget to cancel any local subscriptions and services that you won't be utilising after your move. Taking care of these services will not only save you unnecessary expenses but also prevent any inconvenience down the line. Some common subscriptions and services to consider include:

Health Club/Gym

If you have a gym membership or belong to a health club near your current residence, make sure to inform them about your move. Ask about any transfer options or the possibility of cancelling your membership without penalties.

Newspaper/Magazine Subscriptions

Contact the companies responsible for delivering newspapers or magazines to your current address. Update them with your new address or arrange for the subscriptions to be transferred if possible.

Clubs & Societies

If you're a member of any local clubs, societies, or organisations, let them know about your change of address. This ensures that you receive relevant communications and prevents any disruption in your participation.

Essential Utilities

When moving house, one of the essential tasks is to inform your utility providers about the change of address. This ensures a smooth transition in services and helps you avoid any unnecessary charges or disruptions. Here are the main utility providers to consider updating:


Contact your electricity provider to inform them about your move. Provide them with your new address and the date of the move to ensure a seamless transfer of service. If you're switching to a different electricity supplier in your new area, compare rates and plans to find the best option for your needs.


If your property uses gas, inform your gas provider about your change of address. Similar to electricity, provide them with the relevant details and inquire about transferring the service or finding a new gas provider in your new locality.


Contact your water company to update your address information. This is important for accurate billing and uninterrupted water supply at your new residence. In some cases, the water provider may be different in your new area, so be sure to clarify this and make the necessary arrangements.

Additionally, consider the following utilities and services:


If you have a cable or satellite TV subscription, inform your provider about your move. They can help you transfer your service to your new address or advise on other available options.


Whether you have a landline or mobile phone plan, notify your provider about your change of address. This ensures that you continue to receive communications and bills without any issues.


If you have an internet broadband connection, inform your provider about your move. They can guide you on transferring the service or help you find suitable broadband options in your new area.

TV Licence

Update your TV Licence details with the new address. This ensures that you remain compliant with TV Licensing regulations and can continue to watch live TV and use BBC iPlayer legally.

Taking care of these essential utilities promptly will prevent any service interruptions and make settling into your new home much more convenient.

Educational Institutions

Moving house with children means ensuring that their education remains uninterrupted. Here's what you need to do regarding educational institutions:


Notify your children's current school about your impending move as soon as possible. This allows them to prepare necessary paperwork and transfer records to the new school promptly. Additionally, ask about any specific procedures or forms you need to complete for the transition.


If you or your children are attending a university or higher education institution, inform the relevant departments or administrative offices about the change of address. This step is crucial for receiving important communications, tuition fee invoices, and other academic information.

By taking the time to inform these entities about your change of address, you can minimise disruptions and ensure that you and your family continue to enjoy the services and benefits you need at your new location.


Moving to a new area may require you to change healthcare providers. It's essential to update your address and ensure a smooth transition in accessing medical services. Here are some healthcare providers to consider informing about your move:


If you have a regular dentist or dental clinic, inform them about your change of address. They can update their records and help you with recommendations for dental care in your new area if needed.


Notify your current general practitioner (GP) or family doctor about your upcoming move. They can update your medical records and provide advice on transferring your medical history to a new healthcare provider near your new residence.


f you wear glasses or contact lenses and visit an optician regularly, let them know about your move. This ensures they can update their records and assist you in finding an optician in your new locality, if necessary.


For pet owners, it's crucial to inform your current veterinary clinic about your change of address. They will update your pet's records, vaccination history, and any ongoing treatments. Additionally, ask for recommendations for reputable vets in your new area.

During the process of informing healthcare providers, it's also essential to review any ongoing prescriptions you might have. Ensure that you have an adequate supply of medications to cover the transition period. If needed, ask your current healthcare providers for referrals or prescriptions that you can use temporarily until you find new providers near your new home.


Inform your insurance providers about your move. This includes:

Health Insurance

Inform your health insurance provider about your change of address. This ensures that you receive important policy-related communications and that your coverage remains effective in your new location.

Home/Contents Insurance

Contact your home insurance company to update your address. This is essential to keep your property and belongings adequately insured at your new residence.

Life Insurance

If you have a life insurance policy, ensure your insurer has your new address on record. This ensures that your beneficiaries can be reached easily in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Travel Insurance

Even if you're moving within the same country, updating your address with your travel insurance provider is essential. Travel insurance often includes coverage for domestic trips, and having your current address on file ensures hassle-free claims processing in case of emergencies.

Pet Insurance

If you have pet insurance for your furry companions, don't forget to inform your provider about your change of address. This will ensure that your pets' coverage remains active and that you can access veterinary care without interruption.

Maintenance Services

Inform maintenance service providers about your move. This includes:

  • Cleaner
  • Gardener
  • Window Cleaner
  • Accountant
  • Solicitor

Financial Institutions

Don't forget to notify financial institutions about your move, including banks or building societies, premium bonds, pension providers, loan companies, credit card/debit card companies, and store cards. This ensures a seamless transition and avoids any disruptions in your financial services.

This includes:

  • Banks or Building Societies
  • Premium Bonds
  • Pension
  • Loan companies
  • Credit card/Debit card companies
  • Store Cards

Final Thoughts: Setup a Royal Mail Post Redirect

To ensure a smooth transition, set up a postal redirect with Royal Mail. This can be done on the Royal Mail website.

Moving house can be a daunting task. However, by keeping track of who to inform when moving house, you can ensure that all the necessary parties are aware of your move, making the transition as smooth as possible.


Stuart is an expert in Property, Money, Banking & Finance, having worked in retail and investment banking for 10+ years before founding Sunny Avenue. Stuart has spent his career studying finance. He holds qualifications in financial studies, mortgage advice & practice, banking operations, dealing & financial markets, derivatives, securities & investments.

  • The content on this page is regularly checked by our onboarded advisers and experts.

Be notified when we add new articles




Our website offers information about financial products such as investing, savings, equity release, mortgages, and insurance. None of the information on Sunny Avenue constitutes personal advice. Sunny Avenue does not offer any of these services directly and we only act as a directory service to connect you to the experts. If you require further information to proceed you will need to request advice, for example from the financial advisers listed. If you decide to invest, read the important investment notes provided first, decide how to proceed on your own basis, and remember that investments can go up and down in value, so you could get back less than you put in.

Think carefully before securing debts against your home. A mortgage is a loan secured on your home, which you could lose if you do not keep up your mortgage payments. Check that any mortgage will meet your needs if you want to move or sell your home or you want your family to inherit it. If you are in any doubt, seek independent advice.